Archive | February 2012

Plump Purple Pachyderm

This guy didn’t take as long to make as I thought but halfway through, I was really worried that he was even going to look like an elephant!!! He’s approx. 11″ long and 6 1/2″ tall and using Red Heart Homespun yarn in “Purple Haze” totally makes him!!! He’s still a baby so he doesn’t have tusks but if you’re wanting to purchase the pattern, visit my ravelry site and you can buy now. I welcome all comments and ideas on new “critters” to make. My DH has now deemed this as his favorite “critter” to date!!!

Loving Ladybug

Loving ladybug was created for a coworker who needed something for an infant. So therefore, she has no removable parts, etc. And because it was so close to Valentine’s day I had to put a heart on her wings and for her lips. The pattern can be purchased on my ravelry site at buy now. She’ll just flutter into your loved ones heart!

King of the Abstract Jungle

A friend gave me this variagated yarn in fuschia, yellow and orange and I had no clue what to make of it. I knew I wanted to make a lion thought that it would make a fantastic mane using the loop stitch. My Mom and I always embroider things in the colors that we prefer Mom (pastels), me (jewel tones) and have always made the animals in the colors we like too and years ago called it the Abstract Jungle. This pattern for “King of the Abstract Jungle” should go up on my ravelry site at the end of this week.

Kool Aid dyeing wool

This is the most fun craft project that I’ve done in quite awhile. I’d been surfing the web for instructions and they come in tons of different ways but my DH and I tried dyeing some 50% Merino Sock wool, rayon/acrylic blend that was a Woodsy Green with some Great Value energy drink mix and that didn’t work so well. It made it darker but not what I wanted. Only having one piece of real wool in the house left, off to the store we went and with 4.375 oz of La Lana Wool that was a white with grey spinned in, we went the crockpot method and put in 3 c. of water, 1 c. white vinegar and turned that on low until the steam started. Then in 1.5 c of water and .5 c more vinegar we added 5 pkts of grape, 2 strawberry and 1 mixed berry. We left it on for about an hour, flipped it over after about 30 minutes, it soaked up the reds 1st and then the blues. Turned it off after about 2 hrs and let it cool overnight with the lid off. This is the loveliness that we ended up with. Very pleased and am anxiously awaiting the fiber to dye for the next project.